Spring Break time is upon us. If you are one of the lucky ones heading out for a family adventure to parts unknown, or a least warm and sunny, then we bid you safe travels and happy trails….
But, if you have decided to stick around town, welcome to the Staycation party!
Rules for a Staycation
It’s still a vacation, even if you aren’t going anywhere, so to try to give yourself a break. Think about eliminating some (or all) of the following things from your usually hectic schedule:
- cell phone
- alarm clock
- house work
- WORK (of any kind)
- Worrying (good luck!)
Now you have your DON’T list, let’s look at fun things TO DO around town.
Have Fun on a Staycation
- Go to the movies. Well, duh! Of course this is our number one fun thing to do!
- Geocaching. Who doesn’t like a good treasure hunt? Don’t know what it is? Learn about Geocaching and then get out your GPS and go to it!
- Laser Tag. Get some friends together or another family and battle it out in the laser tag arena. Zap Zone in Delta Center and Spare Time in Frandor are two local locations for laser tag.
- Board Game Night. Have each family member pick their favorite game and take turns playing them. Or invite some other staycationers over and have an ultimate board game night!
- Tour a brewery. Craft breweries are popping up everywhere and Grand Rapids is just a short drive away. Sample some great Michigan beers, and the kids can have Root Beer!
- Try a new restaurant. Check out that new restaurant you’ve been meaning to try. (This helps with the NO COOKING rule!)
- Get the bikes out. This is a great time to pull the bikes out of the garage and get them all ready for the riding season. Wash ’em, pump up the tires, grease the chain, and take off! Maybe there is an ice cream parlor at the end of your ride–you never know!
- Take a hike. Spring is full of exciting things happening in nature. Get outside and breathe the fresh air and bring a camera. Check out a new trail or area.
- Take a nap. This is our favorite one. Do all the stuff listed above and then treat yourself to a nice long nap. Come on, you know you want to.
Tell us about your Staycation
We want to hear about your plans for staying around the area this Spring Break. Please comment below. See you at the movies!