Why Shop Local?
We have amazing hometown pride here in Grand Ledge. All you have to do is attend one of our many parades to see it. Or check out how many like we have on Facebook!
But there are more reasons for shopping local than just feeling good about supporting your community. When you buy local the money stays in the community.
But don’t take our word for it. Read this article in Time magazine for a more in-depth study.
What Should You Buy Local?
Ok, you already know why you should buy local, but do you know WHAT you should buy local?
First, you can start with an annual pass to the Grand Ledge Sun Theatre. $50 for unlimited access to all of our movies. You probably know someone who would love this. Maybe you would love this! Click here for more info on all of our gift certificate options.
Ok, enough about us.
Grand Ledge Businesses
Click here for a complete list for all the local businesses that advertise with us. Maybe you’ll find someone on that list who has just what your loved one needs.
Take a walk down Bridge Street and explore ALL the other Grand Ledge businesses. Many of them offer gift certificates, custom and local products, experiences, and food and catering.
Keep reading for some unique Christmas gift ideas and then think, where can I buy these locally? We’d love to hear from you in the comments about what you came it up.
Sure, they aren’t always as fun to unwrap, but sharing an experience and making memories has a much more lasting effect than a toy or item that is fun for awhile but easily forgotten.
At the top of our list of experiences is naturally, Movies! No surprise there. You can purchase an annual pass to the Sun Theatre for your favorite date (and one for yourself) and viola, instant date night any night of the week. We’ll see you at 7:15pm!
Trips and Weekend Getaways
It is always fun to have something to look forward to. Often times people feel a let down after the holidays are over, but giving the gift of a trip creates anticipation and planning that carries far beyond December 25th. Plus, it’s like giving a gift to yourself, because you get to go too!
Plan the Perfect Day
This can be the start of a great family tradition. Include the kids (or let them plan it on their own) and they will surprise you with their excitement and what they come up. Gift them a whole day to do exactly what they want to do as a family and keep it local (it’s only a day, so you don’t want to spend the majority of it traveling).
- Make breakfast together. Menu: eggs, bacon, pancakes
- Take a walk around Downtown Grand Ledge
- Eat lunch at a Grand Ledge restaurant
- Go to a movie at the Sun Theatre
- Visit Grandma and Grandpa
- Make homemade pizzas at home
- Snuggle up together while mom or dad reads a book out loud
Give Gift Certificates Wisely
Gift certificated and gift cards are a very easy and convenient way to give a gift. You can purchase them practically anywhere, they don’t require wrapping, and there isn’t usually easy to find one that you know someone will like. But there are a whole lot of unused gift cards floating around out there, so make yours count.
Here are some ways to make a gift card more meaningful:
- Their absolute favorite place to eat
- Something they would never spend money on themselves but have always wanted to
- To the place you had your first date so you can recreate memories and make new ones
- A new place that opened you’ve been dying to try
- A place to indulge in a very special treat, with 2 forks!
- An annual pass to business or organization that will get used over and over again
- For music, art, or recreation lessons
Use Your Talents
Everybody is good at something and everyone needs help with something. This type of gift can be one of the best because you are giving of your talent and your time, and not necessarily your money. Here are just a few ways you can give of yourself this year:
- Prepare a homemade meal or bake a lovely dessert
- A certificate for a night of babysitting for a young family
- Clean someone’s house for them
- Create something, write a poem, draw a picture, sew, make homemade ornaments.
The possibilities are endless.
These types of gifts are things that people don’t usually buy for themselves, but they need.
DADS, pay attention here!
- Car emergency kit. Perfect for a teenage driver or child who has just moved out. You could throw in a lesson or two on car maintenance and changing a tire too!
- Basic tool kit. Perfect for the new home owner.
- First Aid kit. Something everyone should have. You could include one for the house and the car.
- Dog/Cat goodie box. Create a box of treats, brushes and toys for the pet owner in your life. You can also include basic first aid items too~something every pet owner should have.
No matter who is on your list to give to this year, Grand Ledge businesses have something they will love!
Tell us how you found the perfect gift for your loved one right here!
Be sure to…
Get Your Gift Card Now! >>